A Criminal Case

Washington State Office of Public Defense
You are entitled to an attorney at public expense if you cannot afford to pay for one in one of these types of cases:

  • you are accused of a crime
  • you are facing involuntary civil commitment
  • you are a parent in a dependency or parental rights termination case  OR
  • you are facing contempt of court charges that could result in jail, prison or involuntary incarceration.

The Washington State Office of Public Defense hosts a listing of city, county and federal defender agencies and services on its website.

Use this link to find an attorney to help you with a criminal appeal.

Washington State Bar Association (WSBA): Lawyer Directory
The statewide directory of (lawyers licensed to practice law in Washington State. You can search the directory by city, zip code, name, spoken language, practice area and licensing status. To receive fewer matches, enter as much information as possible.

Washington State Bar Association Attorney Resources
Has general information about where and how to find an attorney, including contact information for lawyer referral programs in Washington State.

County Bar Associations
Has links to the websites of local county bar associations in Washington State. Some of these associations include lists of attorneys who represent clients in criminal cases.