Other Courts and Court-Related Services

Court Services

Court Access for Persons with Disabilities
Courts and court service providers must be accessible to all members of the public, including persons with disabilities. Courts and court service providers must have systems in place for persons with disabilities to request reasonable accommodations that will enable them to meaningfully access and participate in court and court-related services.

The Washington Supreme Court has a special rule for persons with disabilities to ask for and get necessary accommodations.

The Washington State Access to Justice Board has a Guide to duties and strategies the courts should use to ensure equal access to the courts for persons with disabilities. Or read the shorter brochure outlining these duties and strategies.

Administrative agencies and hearing tribunals must also ensure meaningful access to their services for persons with disabilities. The Washington State Access to Justice Board'sGuide also helps ensure fair and equal access to justice for persons with disabilities in the administrative hearing process.

Interpreter Services in Court
Courts must ensure equal access to justice for all persons regardless of their ability to speak English.  Language interpreters help greatly to ensure due process and the efficient and effective functioning of court proceedings. 

The Administrative Office for the Courts (AOC) has information about court-related interpreters and interpreter services for limited English-speaking (LEP) persons and people who are deaf or hearing impaired.

Local trial courts are responsible for scheduling interpreters for court proceedings. If you or someone you know needs a language interpreter, contact the court where the case is taking place.

Court Services for Victims of Domestic Violence or Sexual Assault:

Court Services, Legal Advocacy and Support for Victims of Domestic Violence
The Washington State Gender and Justice Commission's DV website has information about domestic violence and how victims can get protection.

Learn more about domestic violence and how victims can access legal advocate and support services in every county at the Washington State Coalition Against Domestic Violence.

Legal Advocacy and Support for Sexual Assault Victims
Washington State law protects victims of sexual assault.  The State Court's web site provides forms to secure protection from sexual assault perpetrators.  Additional information about state laws protecting victims of sexual assault can be found through the Department of Commerce's Office of Crime Victims Advocacy and the Washington Association of Sexual Assault Programs. Visit the Sexual Violence Law Center for legal information and referral services.

Other Courts

Drug Courts, Mental Health Courts and Other Special Courts
Check this directory of specialty courts throughout the state to find out if your locality has any.

Immigration Courts
The Executive Office for Immigration Review's website has information about the U.S. Department of Justice's Immigration Courts, and how to challenge removals and denials of applications for legal status.


The Certified Professional Guardian Board regulates the certification, practice, training, and discipline of CPGs. A Certified Professional Guardian (CPG) is a person or agency who serves as the legal guardian of at least three individuals and provides this service as a profession. See the Certified Professional Guardian Program for information about a specific CPG.

Commission on Judicial Conduct CJC
The CJC investigates all serious complaints of judicial misconduct and disability.


Drivers Licenses and License Reinstatement
Check with the court that issued your citation to to see if they have a re-licensing program for persons who have had their driver’s license suspended.  If so, ask whether you are eligible and how to enroll.

The Washington State Department of Licensing website tells what to do to get your driver’s license reinstated.

Guardian ad Litems and Certified Professional Guardians
A guardian ad litem (GAL) is appointed by the court to represent the best interests of a child or incapacitated person involved in a superior court case.

The Washington State Coalition for Language Access (WASCLA) website has information about efforts to expand language access for limited English-speaking persons in Washington State.